Day 6 was a breeze! I started with a smoothie, refueled with an avocado wrap, and came home to a homemade, vegan, whole wheat, veggie pizza!
The new-to-me part was the whole wheat, homemade pizza dough! I made it earlier this week and had it to ready to go when we got home from snowboarding last night…alert, ALERT….vegan pizza is total comfort food. :)
WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA DOUGH (V)
3 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 T dry active yeast
1 t agave (or honey or sugar…)
1 T olive oil
1 T sea or Himalayan salt
+ seasonings if you like/have em (basil, oregano, etc.)
1. In a large bowl, dissolve agave (honey or sugar) in warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the top, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until foamy.
2. Stir the olive oil and salt into the yeast mixture, then mix in 2 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour until dough starts to come together. Take the dough out of the bowl and transfer to a flat surface floured with the remaining flour (ie: the counter). Knead until all of the flour (and your seasonings) has been absorbed, and the ball of dough becomes smooth, about 10 minutes. Place dough in an oiled bowl, and turn to coat the surface. Cover loosely with a towel, and let stand in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3. When the dough is doubled feel free to divide into 2 pieces for 2 thin crust, or leave whole to make one thick crust. Form into a tight little dough ball and allow to rise for additional 45 minutes, or until doubled.
4. I bake my dough on a pizza stone, but a cookie sheet works great. Just make sure you corn meal your stone or olive oil your pan.
5. First, I put my dough in the oven for 5 minutes at 500 degrees and then lower it to 425 and add my sauce, spinach, daiya (cheez), and extra veggies. I then put the topped pizza back in at the lower temp for an additional 8-10 minutes. This ensures that my dough is nice + crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside, and my veggies are nice + happy.
This recipe makes 2 thin-crust pizzas….but is also great for breadsticks, calzones, stromboli’s, whatever your little Italian heart desires! Enjoy!!!